1. How was Coach Yesutis described?
2. What does the coach mean when he tells Mendoza to “move his can”? (page 20)
3. On page 22, why did the coach make fun of Lincoln when he said his toe hurt?
4. How does Lincoln describe his relationship with his coach?
5. On page 23 it says, “Think… this year.” Why do you think the author put James highlight after describing what the coach said to the players?
6. On page 23, in the last paragraph it says, ” On the last lap…breathing hard.” Why did the players react to the coach being jolly in the way they did?
7. On page 24, what did Lincoln mean when he said “scrappy”?
8. On page 25, why did Lincoln ask about Monica?
9. On page 26, how does Lincoln describe his neighbor to the North, Mr. Schulman?
10. On page 28, what comparison does he make between white and Mexican cooking?
11.On page 29, why do you think Lincoln’s mom didn’t know how to say dog food in Spanish?
12. On page 30, Why does Lincoln compare the Warriors to Franklin and Lakers to Columbus?
13. What did we learn about Coach Yesutis in this chapter? Does anything we learned justify Lincoln’s thought that the coach has trouble in his head?
Chapter Story Element Questions:
Setting- Where and when did this chapter take place?
Plot- What new events were introduced in this chapter?
Characters- What new characters did we meet in this chapter?
Story Structure- Name the chapter.